SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:22 pm

Nil return, was waiting 20 minutes to connect to Telstra call centre. Typing and juggling a phone at same time. Losing a mobile

SLSU1966

LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Off the wall. Ever lost a mobile phone Joe? I did, trip to Telstra shop front Woden. Blocked the number and gave me a free sim card to keep my number - now to get a new phone. No mobiles "over the hump". No towers, poor reception, no sat phone or GPS then either. Hairy scary days what?

SLSU1966

LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:57 pm

Straying from point Joseph, typical of me. All good Joe. My cobber took my mobile back to his pad and did not alert me. Had left club. He returned it tonight, all fine. Had the same stunt before with a girl I knew. I hoovered up all stuff on the table and went home. Her phone in my grip lit up like a Xmas Tree so I ignored it as I thought it was a multi scam cyber attack, on my own. Returned it. The lesson? Secure it like a V and A item.

Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Re: LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by Joe » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:51 pm

Funny funny man SLSU.
I have never lost a phone .. can't afford to - current one which I've had for about 6 years cost me a whopping $40 ... yep $40!
My beloved lost one a long time ago. Had only had it 6 days - put it on the roof of the car while putting other things in the car and then drove off. Went back 5 minutes later and no sign of it anywhere .. there was a hole in the gutter to take rain water away so reckon that's what happened. Was on a Telstra Business plan about $40 per month for 24 months .. went to Telstra and got another one 😒😒.
Hope Leut DJ Horne is smiling at this too.

SLSU1966

LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:43 pm

VMT input Joe. This topic needs its own post so self-limiting. All rather prosaic and trivial. Like face book, the young need to account for every waking and aching episode in their life - of no interest and even less important to others - known as unknown. The moral? The SAS advise us that we should be situation aware of your surroundings. That might include securing your mobiles. Accidents do happen - so if you are not always alert, adopt counter strategies. Even if that means securing it on a belt pouch, as naff as it may look. Maybe this is why God invented cargo trousers to secure your gear. Many wear their MB in their back pocket. Not advisable if you are visiting a VC long-drop WC facility on the M-31 Hume Highway. Pray for them all.

SLSU1966

: LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:05 am

Last OHS tip to avoid an MVA Joe. Slow around corners, beware of black ice, surely when your rear wheels set drifts out.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jul 18, 2021 11:22 pm

I'll be super careful mate. Certainly will not slide the vehicle anywhere - don't drive and have not held a drivers licence for over 30 years. By choice I must add!

SLSU1966

LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:20 pm

Mobile still has the yips Joe. Long story, still a work in progress. To summarise. My Samsung S 5 fritzed when a repair shop tried to put a new glass cover on. The wise said I should have cut my losses, buy a new one. Daughter gave me her KONKA ? which she used with Voda Phone. It seemed to work last Thursday, until I lost it. Went to Telstra Shop and they gave me a free SIM card assuring me that I kept my same number. No luck, two days out prompted "network not available." After a wait of a few days. My chum said while I had Telstra block my old number, I now need to have them unblock it - so I can use it again. Not a Telstra phone but I am on their Telstra plan. More later when I deepen Telstra's ignorance of it all. Remember Shakespeare? Hamlet or King Lear? "Having lost it, he lost all". Moving forward. Be comfortable with ambiguity. Just play another card until then.

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm

Telstra can be a bit of a pain in the bum. Had problems when we moved down here and needed the internet connected and first bloke out set it up in the kitchen - yes in the kitchen and would be back to move it. 5 phone calls and 2 visits to the local shop and still nothing done. Made a few calls to people I know who know people and was advised to attend Telstra Albury across the border.
Did so and lo and behold the Manager and my wife got on famously. They knew people from each others families from years ago. Problem solved.
So SLSU mate ... it's who you know and how well you know them and not what you know. Don't lose your new phone and you won't have a problem. πŸ‘πŸ‘Œ

SLSU1966

LEUT D J Horne, RNVR

Post by SLSU1966 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Sound advice Joe, as always. Back to Telstra. Said as it was not a Telstra phone but Voda phone so they had no responsibility for it. Odd? Seeing they gave me a Telstra Sim card on Saturday when I blocked it Friday. Had to. As I am on a Telstra mobile plan. Monday my chum helped me out. He knows his stuff, ex 9 Squadron VN radio mechanic and twenty years with an IT company. Wiggled the new SIm card in. Went on line and entered new Sim card # so I could retain my number. Prompted me that it would take 4 hours if Telstra or 48 hours if non-Telstra. Tried to activate mobile. Network not available? So back to Telstra who said talk to Voda phone - opposite their own shop. Voda phone said it was a Telstra device so get them to unblock phone and restore your old and current number on your plan. Back to Telstra. Staffer opened case and wiggled a few things around. He said he turned it off and on again. And bingo, it worked, back on line. But he was fiddling with his lap top. Could not see the action. I think he just pressed the unblock function. I was not to know his command of the magic. He looked at me like I should be in Pyongyang and he would rather be in Hawaii. OK. The rub? Relative who gave me the generic phone got it from K Mart. Was on V P plan but lapsed when she got a new Samsung S 5 I assume. Decisions are predicated by facts. The only thing that impacts on efficiencies are inefficiencies. Why do some people make things up? Telstra wants to sell toys (mobiles) not deal with tech support. But us oldies are not wanting fools as the Germans say. Kids know this stuff instinctively. The moral Joe?

"What's the difference between a car salesman and an IT shop front / call centre employee? The car salesman knows when he is telling porkie pies".