The Black Dog

Messages of those who have been turned in.
demo
Real Full Name: Brian Demeary
Rank and Rate/Category: POMTP3
Enlistment Date: 18 Nov 1962
Date of Discharge: 07 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane x 2, 1MCE, Penguin

Re: The Black Dog

Post by demo » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Thank you knobby

Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Post by Joe » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:45 pm

You can do it Demo.
Certainly a good time to avoid people ! NSW are finding out what Victoria endured for about 7 months .. not much fun but better to be alive.
Still thinking about you Demo. Chookas.

demo
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane x 2, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:05 am

your thoughts and wishes are what keep me going, plus the LOVE of my son

Chipmonk
Real Full Name: Garry Prince
Rank and Rate/Category: LCDRGLMTH
Enlistment Date: 16 Jul 1969
Date of Discharge: 03 Aug 2003
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin x2, Brisbane, Cerberus,Stalwart x2,Cairns and MHQ x3

Post by Chipmonk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:57 am

Demo,
You mustn't forget that although many people on this site will not put their thoughts in writing here, they are with you in spirit. We have all at sometime been in many unfortunate circumstances and have endured and survived. Bloody hard going at times I admit, but I would take the liberty of saying that survival is a lesson learnt while in the Navy and is done with the help, guideance and some what strong urging of your shipmates. As Knocker has previously stated, "remember the good times and shrug off the bad times and thoughts" and as you say the "Love of your Son." Hard thing to do Demo, but for the sake of you, your family and mates - Give it a bloody good go!

Take care

Garry Prince
Chipmonk

PS were you on Brisbane 73-75?

demo

Post by demo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:56 pm

Chipmonk,
Yes mate, I was on the Brisbane when I picked up my second hook. I used to be the kellick of the fwd stokers mess until then. When the Brisbane had the fire in No 2 fireroom in 1974 I was the P.O. on watch, fucking scary moment that was. Trying to notify all and sundry about the fire as well as shutting down the Boiler at the same time. My main concern then was the safety of my men down there and then the safety of the ship, we had Furnace Fuel Oil Tanks right beside us. Cannot remember now how long it lasted but I do not want to ever have it happen again. The cause was an Oil gauge blew of the main feed pump that we were using and then all the oil saturated the lagging on the turbine which resulted in the fire. The results were catastrophic, melted trunking, electrical wiring, goodness knows what else. Thank god for the damage control party that were so fast on the spot to combat it. All this happened at 1720, I had just relieved he afternoon P.O. for his meal.
A certain LCMDR came on board soon after and oversaw the repair work and he was the one who got the fucking commendation for that, fuck the stokers down the hole when all his happened. Not a word to any of us. Me, my leading hand and two stokers who were right in the midst of things when all this happened.
Asshole he is.
That is my opinion of him
I still have flash backs about it now 46 years later.

demo

Post by demo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:32 pm

Sorry about the time, it was still 1720. I had just relieved the dog watch for their meal. I was the afternoon watch.

Chipmonk
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin x2, Brisbane, Cerberus,Stalwart x2,Cairns and MHQ x3

Post by Chipmonk » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:21 pm

Aha. Demo I thought I recognised the name. I was on Brisbane 73/75)in the aft stokers mess as a young mobi. The mad mob there was the likes of snake speers et al and the Kellick was Harry Mossman (sic). I left in November 1975. Christ thats bringing back memories. The Chief Stoker was Al Humpries. the Chief Tiff was Dave MacMillian and the Swain was Des Harper amongst others. Wasn't that twit PO Mobie Chris Beattie the idiot that tried to cut the burning lagging with the pointy end of one of those yank fire axes? Only trouble it was the lagginbg around the main steam line (1295psi if I remember correctly.) Happy to be corrected by one who knows. Mate I ended up doing 34 years and I can tell you that things haven't changed much; the troops do all the work and the Ociffers get the glory - well not all as there are some good ones. You sound like a good man Demo and by the way you handled the fire and looked after the men stands you in good stead. You might still have flash backs ol' mate but you came out of it well. Hang in there, chin up and all that bullshit and look foreward to writing a bit more about the Brisbane.
Take care and kind regards,
Princey

demo

Post by demo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Yep, the chief stoker was Al Humpries, I remember Snake Speeres and Harry Mossman. Can't remember if it was Chris Beattie or not who tried to cut the lagging away, it was 1275 psi.
In case you have already guessed the officers name was Graham Thurston. From memory he got either an AO or an OAM for his fucking trouble.
Not a word to any of the poor stokers who had to fight it. A fucking big kick in the ass is all.
I did 17 years, got out to try and save my marriage, should have stayed in.
Now living in the Philippines , have a beautiful wife and handsome son, no intention of returning to Aust.
By the way, what does LCDRGLMTH stand for? been out to long now to remember and the result of brain operation has left me with memory problems.
Take care, regards,
Demo

Chipmonk

Post by Chipmonk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Hello Demo, Back on watch. Hows life treating you old bean? I have had a hectic couple of weeks as my wife had a stroke, is good, but has relapses every now and then. The title LCDRGLMTH denotes that I was like the old lower deckman change over to Occifer but from the rank of WO. The old SDs had to go to the Naval College and be edumacated but the WO were promoted based on their experience etc. Basically designed for us to stay on shorebases and let the Engineers go to sea and do their thing. It didn't work the way they thought because many WO reached the rank of CMDR and many were MEOs on ships. But that the fucked navy for you. Dont think Thurstons was around in those days as a LCDR. He was a change over like me but wouldn't be a Warrant Officer until 1984. Don't know mate maybe he was a LCDR later in your time and pissed you off. Anyway no need to worry, he is out of your life and wont be bothering you any more. Just think of the good things in life and you have many people still around that remembers you for all the good things you are doing now and in your previous life. Forget the detractors they are but a few and if they keep up bothering you in your bad times tell them to Fuck off + you're the boss. Hope family is well. Regards Princey

Chipmonk

Post by Chipmonk » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm

Hello Demo, Back on watch. Hows life treating you old bean? I have had a hectic couple of weeks as my wife had a stroke, is good, but has relapses every now and then. The title LCDRGLMTH denotes that I was like the old lower deckman change over to Occifer but from the rank of WO. The old SDs had to go to the Naval College and be edumacated but the WO were promoted based on their experience etc. Basically designed for us to stay on shorebases and let the Engineers go to sea and do their thing. It didn't work the way they thought because many WO reached the rank of CMDR and many were MEOs on ships. But that the fucked navy for you. Dont think Thurstons was around in those days as a LCDR. He was a change over like me but wouldn't be a Warrant Officer until 1984. Don't know mate maybe he was a LCDR later in your time and pissed you off. Anyway no need to worry, he is out of your life and wont be bothering you any more. Just think of the good things in life and you have many people still around that remembers you for all the good things you are doing now and in your previous life. Forget the detractors they are but a few and if they keep up bothering you in your bad times tell them to Fuck off + you're the boss. Hope family is well. Regards Princey