SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

Commodore David York, AM, RAN, Rtd.

Post by SLSU1966 » Tue May 07, 2019 7:20 am

See the Sunday Telegraph for 5 May. Miranda Devine profiles LCDR Sophie York, RANR, David's daughter. She herself is a barrister and adding value to the navy product, presumably on the naval reserve legal panel. Mother of four and a political candidate for the Australian Conservative Party. Ms Devine notes: " ... and yet, on Friday Sophie was ordered to pull down a video about her life that featured her with her beloved father growing up. She was forced to expunge it all from her campaign material." The journalist goes on to relay other points, which are outside of my thoughts on this and others can canvas them if they are interested. However, in a sensitive political campaign, I accept the official position on this. The ADF is politically neutral and her appearance in uniform on electoral flyers, signs and bill boards might create a perception that she carries some official endorsement. However, this edict applies to all candidates. She is telegenic, looks much like her mother Peta, and she must accept the ADF ruling. I wish her well.

SLSU1966

Post by SLSU1966 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:00 pm

In retrospection, I was too tough on Sir Arthur, a crime of speaking more than I knew, a common response from arm chair strategists. Have since read:

Sir Arthur Tange, A personal memoir, "Defence Policy-Making", 'A close up view 1950-1980', edited by Peter Edwards, the author of his fine biography.

He was well-minded having the vision to introduce a tri-service tertiary academy at ADFA providing a university education for cadets and midshipmen. It was an old argument that training is not necessarily education. These young officers had to develop policy skills to prepare them as future leaders. After all, I am the beneficiary of a post-graduate MA course at ADFA. It would be hypocritical and cynical of me to debunk his realised efforts in 1986. Mind you, my best years are behind me and at 70, there is little scope for me to apply that new sub-set of skills. But after all, it got me thinking, asking questions, which was an education itself. Had I that qualification 40 years ago my career may have been different, yet no complaints, life is.

SLSU1966

Post by SLSU1966 » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 am

Of political aspirants and or in uniforms, again. Weekend paper said a police woman in the west was instructed not to include images in her electoral flyers depicting her wearing WA police uniform. Such an inference would carry an unwelcome perception that she carried some official endorsement which would unfairly politicise her employer. Just after WWII, it was different, many candidates could proudly run for office, in uniforms were OK.