Mental Breakdowns

Messages of those who have been turned in.
Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Re: Mental Breakdowns

Post by Joe » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:49 pm

Glad to hear you're still with us Jock! You could also ended up as George Pell's neighbourr.
Well done to come through on top.
I (like many others I'm sure) have had a severe love of alchol since joining Pussers. Fourteen weeks in hospital for a simple hip replacement 16 months ago resulted in lifestyle change including selling up in Sydney and moving to Wonderful Wodonga.
Ended up having the other hip replaced and stayed a massive 4 days in hospital!
Have since had skin cancer removed from my left cheek and two stents inserted to clear 95% and 70% vein blockages at rear of the heart.
Still have some serious issues but am alive and breathing. Now looking forward and not back ... well not critically back! Have found out its my life and I'm in charge of it. Kick back and relax ....

SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

Mental Breakdowns

Post by SLSU1966 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:54 am

Hang in Joe, reflecting that we were all much fitter 50 years ago, when working together at FHQ in 1969. I am slowing down myself now at over 70.

windy1
Real Full Name: Stephen Hills
Rank and Rate/Category: LSMTP2
Enlistment Date: 26 Oct 1971
Date of Discharge: 26 Oct 1980
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus - Yarra - Sydney - Perth - Watson - Brisbane - Penguin

Post by windy1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:07 am

I had mental health issues from my alcoholism for many years but finally found the help required for recovery. During the ‘bad years’ doctors, psychologists / psychiatrists were not entirely the answer, they do tend to offer a solution with medication, particularly antidepressants.
But they did supply enough tools to aid in recovery so I can’t bag em’ too much!

As Joe said “Have found out it’s my life and I'm in charge of it”.
A downward spiral will continue but it can be stopped and turned around, lifestyle, diet and exercise all help but it can be difficult to take that first step, and this is where professional help can be of value.

One lesson I did learn was, if I looked at all my problems as one big rock I carried in a backpack it was too much of a weight to carry, instead if I looked at my problems as a number of smaller rocks I could take them out one by one and deal with them and over time my load became lighter and more manageable.

Re exercise! I’ve was coerced into Aqua Aerobics Classes and must admit feel heaps better for it, the class is mainly attended by older persons so it’s not to tiring to keep up. The instructor is usually a younger female so my eye muscles also get a good workout!

stones
Site Admin
Real Full Name: Russ Graystone
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOFC
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1969
Date of Discharge: 07 Jan 1989
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Sun May 05, 2019 11:49 am

I stopped drinking piss years ago. Not because I had a problem with it, not being an 'alcoholic', I just got sick of it, and wrost of all, being sick from it, I just don't like it anymore. Well, maybe not completely, I can still have a few socially, to be polite mainly, but I can sure live without it. I have, all my life, suffered from epic hangovers.

Drinking to excess on a regular basis is not really a good move once you begin your 'senior' years anyway. So I went off it at the optimal time in my life.

Fortuntely I have never been one who suffers from boredom. I have always got something to do. For starters, living in a Non English speaking country, and being illiterate, presents challenges on a daily basis. Even something simple like changing your ISP or changing your Cable TV plan! This helps keep one on one's toes. I am very independant and it has to be very serious before I seek help. Even completing the most trivial tasks gives one a sense of accomplishment!

On any given day I have so many things to do I rarely, if ever, catch up. Still do all my own housework and chores.

And sometimes I just like to lie on the couch listening to my favourite music selection by voice command using my Spotify Account. All through a beaut dolby atmos home theatre system! I love my music. Food for the soul.

I love technology and keeping up with the latest gadgets. Even though we may be reaching 'Peak Gadget', after all, what else can they put into mobile fucking phones these days! It is mostly where all my spare cash goes to these days. Remember that old saying in Pussers, when blokes returned onboard with the latest gadget - 'Shit mate! Does it wank you off too???' From Seiko Bellmatics and 8 Tracks to Robotics. The next step!

And of course. If you have toxic people in your life and fucking it up. Ditch them!

phpBB [media]

swampee
Real Full Name: Nigel Marsh
Rank and Rate/Category: LSSIG
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1975
Date of Discharge: 06 Jan 1986
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin Cerebus Platypus Vendetta Swan Penguin MSO Harman NO Jervis Bay Swan Stalwart FOCAF Warnambool Stuart

Post by swampee » Sun May 05, 2019 2:30 pm

Speaking of Seikos, cant believe one of these in reasonable condition is north of $1,000
https://www.chrono24.com.au/seiko/ref-61396002.htm#gref
Cheers

Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Post by Joe » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 pm

Kicked cigarretes goodbye 24 years ago .. was 50 plus per day .. quit cold turkey.
Said bye bye to grog 26th August 2017 when I went to hospital for hip replacements. Was a daily (yes - every single bloody day). At least 6 stubbies of beer per sitting... quit cold turkey.
Won't touch either ever again. Easy to do .. you just kinda haveta sorta want too, if ya know what I kinda sorta mean.

demo
Real Full Name: Brian Demeary
Rank and Rate/Category: POMTP3
Enlistment Date: 18 Nov 1962
Date of Discharge: 07 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am

Did the same myself with cigarretes many years ago now and then grog this year. Absolutely no good when you are on so much medication, that's what caused the mental breakdown. Still suffering from it, I supppose I will be for some time. It has left me with legs that do not want to support me as I stand up and I am off balance all the time. Now need a walkng stick wherever I go. Stairs are a bastard.

stones
Site Admin
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Mon May 06, 2019 11:18 am

Hmmm yeah, I have to keep telling myself how fortunate I am. My problems are minscule. I do not have any health issues, even my life long suffering from gout has all but disappeared. Haven't had a bad attack for yonks!

The only threat I have to my health is mental. I really don't have any problems other than this Medicare unfairness, it has really affected me, I know these feelings of rage etc., are not doing me any good at all, I know it will eventually take its toll on me physically if I can't stop it, but there is nothing I can do to stop myself feeling this way. I am reminded of it daily.

Just the other day I apologised to my mate for being the way I am. I hate feeling like this.

I think the best thing to do, for the sake of my own wellbeing is just to fuck off back to Thailand and carry on, where my Thai family have more concern for me than anyone down here.

Not long after my mother died, last year, we were having a (Thai) family gathering at home in Bangkok where I remarked that my family in Australia was all over and hat I no longer had one anymore. My sister in law turned to me and said that it wasn't true. She said, 'We are your family now'.

So, just try to be thankful for what you have. There is always someone worse off than you are.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

demo
Real Full Name: Brian Demeary
Rank and Rate/Category: POMTP3
Enlistment Date: 18 Nov 1962
Date of Discharge: 07 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Mon May 06, 2019 2:53 pm

I don't have a medicare card any longer either. It expired two years ago now. I tried to ring them with Skype last week to find out if I can renew it and got no answer at all, must have all been on smoko
As I don't have any intention of returning to Australia I am not too particularly worried about it.
When and if I do return it will only be for a holiday with my wife and son.
I myself have the Gold Card and if we do get there I will take out health insurance for them

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:32 pm

I very recently sat on my mate's back patio one morning in Melbourne and personally witnessed him ring medicare. He had lost his card and could not provide his Medicare Number to a particular hospital department he was dealing with. The Medicare employee on the end of the phone told him that whilst this (lost cards) wasn't his part of ship, he did, to save time, have the ability to re-order a new card for him. So, over the phone my mate gave him his name, address and date of birth.

His new card arrived in the mail about a week later. He took the piss out of me for weeks after that.

I still have the music though.

phpBB [media]