Brian Mark (Gus) Ridley ex LSQMG

Death Notices, Obituaries, Remembrances of Departed Shipmates
Bubbles61
Real Full Name: Glenn Ludlow
Rank and Rate/Category: POB
Enlistment Date: 09 Jan 1979
Date of Discharge: 31 Oct 1999
Ships and Depots Served: Vampire, Jervis Bay, Creswell x2, Fremantle, Brisbane, Perth, Sydney, Tobruk

Brian Mark (Gus) Ridley ex LSQMG

Post by Bubbles61 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:12 pm

Just passing on the sad news of the sudden passing of my old friend from the RAN and Merchant Navy, Gus Ridley. He appears on this site in the photos of matelots running amuck up top. Attended his funeral at the request of his 2 sons, Dylan and Evan. RIP mate.

stones
Site Admin
Real Full Name: Russ Graystone
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOFC
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1969
Date of Discharge: 07 Jan 1989
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Re: Brian Mark (Gus) Ridley ex LSQMG

Post by stones » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:59 pm

Oh shit! That is really sad. Had just been thinking about him recently. I had no idea. Gus was a few years younger than me, joined STUART as a brand new ABQMG2 in 73.

Gus was among the 'first four' of us that took REC LEAVE and flew to Manila, PI, XMAS 75.

A lot of water under the keel. Too many runs ashore to remember. Many Pics. Gus and I went and bought Super 8 Movie Cameras when broken down in HK for many weeks in 1974. I hope his movies survived.

I am gobsmacked. Totally. Totally.

RIP Gus.

swampee
Real Full Name: Nigel Marsh
Rank and Rate/Category: LSSIG
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1975
Date of Discharge: 06 Jan 1986
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin Cerebus Platypus Vendetta Swan Penguin MSO Harman NO Jervis Bay Swan Stalwart FOCAF Warnambool Stuart

Post by swampee » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:00 pm

Very sad indeed, and a huge shock, also that his name was Brian,
May Goddess Galene take care of you old mate
RIP

stones
Site Admin
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:35 pm

Really knocked me around this. too many memories. I had been meaning getting in touch, just recently, but never did. So Sad. Have not stopped thinking about it.

Where did all those years go Gus?

As Gus was a self confessed Catholic Altar Boy born and bred and growing up around Maitland Way, I am sure he will be looked after where he is going.

I said a prayer, albeit to my Buddhist Place in my house and wish you well on your journey Gus. Hoping we bump into each other again.

They were great times. the best. The world we had on a string. Too much to tell.

Once were legends!

Below: 3 of the Originals: Gus, Pommy and Me, outside the Ocean Bar, HK 1975.
derwenthk75.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

swampee
Real Full Name: Nigel Marsh
Rank and Rate/Category: LSSIG
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1975
Date of Discharge: 06 Jan 1986
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin Cerebus Platypus Vendetta Swan Penguin MSO Harman NO Jervis Bay Swan Stalwart FOCAF Warnambool Stuart

Post by swampee » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm

3 smally boys there mate
Cheers

Lawrie G
Real Full Name: Lawrie Gribben
Rank and Rate/Category: POEWR
Enlistment Date: 10 Mar 1963
Date of Discharge: 09 Mar 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Parramatta (x2), Mull of Kintyre, Melbourne, Waterhen

Post by Lawrie G » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:09 am

swampee wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm
3 smally boys there mate
Cheers
We were sailors once - and young . . .

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:06 pm

HMAS STUART 1974. Long time spent in Singapore during this year, due to breakdowns. Not an unusual night out in the 'Wang. It was like being at 'home' really.

Remember the music. The latest albums being played in the bars. And to blokes like us, piped' outside. This year, 1974, two stood out. 'Band On The Run', and the latest Carpenters Album.

Navy's Bar, From Left: Tony Newlands (on stoppage of civvies), Lilly, Rose (one arm), Me, Gus, 'Cossy' Cosgrove.
navysbarwang01.jpg
phpBB [media]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blue
Real Full Name: George Reidy
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOETS
Enlistment Date: 06 Apr 1968
Date of Discharge: 05 Oct 1990
Ships and Depots Served: CERBERUS, Vampire (x2), Stalwart, Stuart, Perth, Sydney (FFG), Waratah, Nirimba, Kuttabul

Post by Blue » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:00 pm

Yes very sad to hear of Gus passing, RIP shipmate.

Served on Stuart 1972 to 1975, a great crew and will always have plenty of good memories!

Bubbles61
Real Full Name: Glenn Ludlow
Rank and Rate/Category: POB
Enlistment Date: 09 Jan 1979
Date of Discharge: 31 Oct 1999
Ships and Depots Served: Vampire, Jervis Bay, Creswell x2, Fremantle, Brisbane, Perth, Sydney, Tobruk

Post by Bubbles61 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Gus lived alone in the locality of Greendale about 20 km north of Bega. His home, which he built himself sits at the base of Mumbulla Mountain. Gus, like so many who lived alone, died alone. I last saw him at the Tathra Pub for a music Sunday session just prior to the bushfires..his boys spoke of his demons he carried and the way it influenced his life, but most importantly they spoke of a man who loved his sons....the service finished to the sound of the mighty Khe Sanh of which we all heard bang out of bars in the Far East wherever Aussie sailors docked and went on the swill. So, me being from that era, and a fondness for a beer, I raise a glass to Gus to the sounds of Khe Sanh from my stereo. I could be back in Sambewang!!!! RIP old mate....