PLEASE READ

This is a completely brand new, clean installation of forum software and database as of Thu 28th June 2018. To participate in these forums you will need to register. Please do not message me that you are unable to log in. All previous accounts and data have been deleted. You will need to re-register.

Registration is not automatic, your submission will be reviewed by a human. Choose your username (nickname) carefully, it should be different from your real name. At registration you will asked to provide some basic information about your Naval/Military Service. The better this is done the quicker the process is. After you complete the registration you will be notified by email that your registration is accepted and you may now log in. Please wait for this email before you do or you may get locked out.

As a guest you will be able to view Vale, Sick Bay and Lost Oppo forums but you cannot post. As a registered member you will get access to view and post in all discussion forums. Including those restricted from public view.

Thanks.

Les Dwyer

Death Notices, Obituaries, Remembrances of Departed Shipmates
Vicky
Real Full Name: Vicky Hones
Rank and Rate/Category: SWRMED
Enlistment Date: 15 Sep 1975
Date of Discharge: 14 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus Penguin

Les Dwyer

Post by Vicky » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:44 am

Passing this sad message on - just saw it.. 😢

It is with immense sadness I’m informing you that Les Dwyer crossed the bar on 16th August 2018 at 3pm.

Les suffered a major heart trauma on Monday the 13th August 2018 whilst whipper snipping on our property, 36 hours before our planned trip to Shanghai.

Les was treated by the Ambulance Service, Nambour Hospital Emergency Department and Sunshine Coast University Hospital Intensive Care Unit with the utmost care and professional attention.

Despite their best efforts, Les did not regain consciousness after the heart trauma. Prior to this incident Les was healthy, well and looking forward to our trip.

Posted by Les’s beloved wife, Lynda Dwyer.

Funeral arrangements for Les Dwyer. Thursday 23rd August 2018 at 2pm
Gregson & Weight Chapel
34 National Park Road
Nambour QLD 4560

Pierre
Real Full Name: Peter Cory
Rank and Rate/Category: POCK
Enlistment Date: 06 Jan 1962
Date of Discharge: 06 Jan 1982
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin x 3, Cerberus x 2, Vampire, Sydney, Kuttabul, Stalwart, Brisbane, Nirimba, Duchess, Swan.

Re: Les Dwwyer

Post by Pierre » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:08 am

Les joined up at JRTE 4th intake 5/1/62. During his career in the Navy he spent considerable time in Indonesia at the Aust Embassy. Until about a year ago he was National President of The Naval Association. Sadly missed.

SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

WOWTR Les Dwyer

Post by SLSU1966 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:04 am

Sad news of Les. He was the POWTR (ship's office) at Harman in 1970 when I posted in. He had two badges by then so his extensive experience doubled my own. He had a remarkable command of the regulations and procedures. So he was a wise counsel and I respected and depended on his considerable knowledge. He was never phased by any challenge which he always successfully surmounted, treating all equally with his wisdom and insight, but quick to detect any cant over anyone attempting to game the system. Lived on the patch and active with the senior sailors' mess. Then selected for language training and a subsequent posting as the NCO assistant to the Naval Attache in Jakarta. He achieved a remarkable fluency and was a useful conduit to his Indonesian naval contacts, surely so with DCP. Did great work as the President of the NAA and was tireless in his efforts, with others, to influence the government to decide to issue the NGSM Malaya clasp to our people who served with the FESR in the Malayan Emergency. Stepped down from the position but his efforts were rewarded. Would have been worthy of an OAM for his leadership of an ESO. I only resumed contact with him in the last year as desultory as it was. He will be missed by many. My sympathy to his wife and family. More follows.

SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

WOWTR Les Dwyer

Post by SLSU1966 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:19 am

Harman daze, 1970. LCDR Bill Storrie, DSM was the XO then. One day I was with Les in Bill's office when Les remarked on a framed photograph of HMS Iron Duke on the wall. Bill commented on his proud service with her. Quick as a flash, Les quipped. "Can't be so Sir, it has no sails?" The XO responded by literally throwing the book at Les. But Les was quicker and a copy of RI's hit the edge of the door as Les laughingly ducked its impact. "Get out of here Dwyer!" Another Bill story. He was getting hazed by the then CDF, Admiral Sir Victor Smith. Bill worked out that he was two weeks senior to VAT, having joined the service a fortnight before the CDF. VAT attempted to lean on Bill for what he perceived as interference with the Harman command, as inconsequential as it may have been. So Bill 'rebuked' his senior on the telephone to Russell. "Now stop both, Admiral!" Don't know the result but Bill survived. Laughed all day as he recounted. He was delighted to see off the Admiral but it was not an example his juniors were unwise to ever emulate.

Humph
Real Full Name: James Humphreys
Rank and Rate/Category: LSSTD
Enlistment Date: 10 Jan 1973
Date of Discharge: 14 May 1980
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin, Cerberus, Penguin, Nirimba, Stalwart, Melbourne and HMAS Kuttabul.

Les Dwyer RIP

Post by Humph » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:17 pm

E Mariner,
Sorry to hear that Les's big heart finally failed. Condolences to Lynda and Family and Naval Association Friends.
Rest in Peace. Humph
Jim Humphreys