Mental Breakdowns

Messages of those who have been turned in.
stones
Site Admin
Real Full Name: Russ Graystone
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOFC
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1969
Date of Discharge: 07 Jan 1989
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Re: Mental Breakdowns

Post by stones » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:39 pm

Joe wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:19 am
Dogs are one of the best friends you can have. Really great to calm you down.
Hey Joe .. was meaning to ask you. What is it that that makes you not calm?

phpBB [media]

Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Post by Joe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:14 am

Hahahahaha ...... reckon I'm like a lot of people Stones. Things that raise the blood pressure are many and varied. There are the arseholes who pollywaffle in parliament then the incredible upemselves that run their countries with violence etc. Really great mongrels like George Pell and his kiddie fiddling friends not to mention the rapists and heroic street bashing robbing bastards.
Then of course we can come close to real life in our own environment ... I won't bore you with those matters!!
Chin up - keep smiling (even if it is a bit of a grimace).
Chookas!!!!!♢♢♢

stones
Site Admin
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:03 am

Hmmm .... Did you think it might be worthwhile putting yourself on stoppage of news media for a while. If you are unable to see things calmly and objectively from a distance.

Anyway. All is not so bad, Pell remains banged up and Robert Magabe just croaked!

But you could seriously, every time you feel like watching the nightly horror show they call the news, you could just put your favourite music on and belt out a few numbers, with your faithful hound at your feet. Who knows, he may even howl along with you. That would be a trip!

As for real life, I was travelling along quite well until I decided to one day walk into a centrelink office. But I am getting over that experience and well on the way to getting back to being the happy, carefree, unbothered recluse that I am.

I love my music.

phpBB [media]

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:22 am

those algorithms again. Not generally the genre of music I listen to, nor enjoy, but if you don't get at least one laugh out of this, then there is probably no hope for yer

phpBB [media]

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:00 am

Nah Stones. The news gives me something to bitch about. If I didn't have a grizzle or two about the world and all its arseholes I might look too close to home!
I practice what I preach and make sure I find something to make me happy each and every day .. that way I have happy memories of a good life.
On top of that I write poetry (non de plume patrick duncan) not published and not a lot out there but seriously thinking of doing a chap book or maybe a website ... ah well .. theres always next year!

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:58 pm

There is a lot of sadness in this world. Speaking to my (Ex) Wife this morning. (I don't particularly care for terms such as EX and I know some have found it confusing when I still refer to her as, wife, just thought I would clear that up) Recently she was telling me about this really nice, polite hardworking, young bloke who is working in our daughters's Restaurant in Melbourne. He is from Taiwan and working two jobs, on a 12 month Working Visa. She could not sing his praises high enough.

Then this morning she tells me his older brother topped himself on the weekend. He was living here in Bangkok helping his Taiwanese Father with his business, etc., that he had set up here. Problem was his father re-married a Thai and put everything in her name! You can guess the rest. But this caused a blue between father and son. Where he doubled away smartly and took his own life.

The young bloke is pretty distraught, as you would be. Very sad.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:25 am

That is very sad. Poor young fellow in a strange country and dad and bro way out across the ocean.
Also have some bad news. My wifes (current for 54 years) 'best' aunty had her 51 year old son top himself 3 days ago.
This suicide business is certainly a huge problem.

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:20 am

It has a terrible effect on so many people. My wife was pretty upset when I spoke to her. She has never met the father, or the brother.

In BRISBANE in 81 one of my Kellicks on the FX was a bloke named Jumbo Warner, LSQMG. A lovely bloke Jumbo. But he was a haunted man. Not all the time but I could tell at times he had some images inside his head that he could not unsee.

It was on an A Boat (can't remember the name of the boat) during an SMP, alongside at Waterhen in the 70's. There was only two of them aboard. When the other bloke in the Duty Watch did not front to relieve Jumbo at 0200 he got a bit concerned and set out to find him. Middle of the night, on his pat, (graveyard shift, aptly named), Jumbo carried out rounds of the entire boat looking for him. Searching from FWD to AFT in proper Navy Manner, so lastly, into the Tiller Flat. There he is swinging by his neck from the deck head. Jumbo described to me the entire macabre scene.

I haven't seen Jumbo since BRISBANE but I bet it still haunts him to this day.

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:13 pm

Have been thinking about seeing my DO and getting him to change my religion to STOIC.

I have been casually looking at it for a while now. An interesting bloke Mr Seneca.

Stoicism is a school of Hellenistic philosophy founded by Zeno of Citium in Athens in the early 3rd century BC. Stoicism is a philosophy of personal ethics informed by its system of logic and its views on the natural world.

Interesting.

phpBB [media]

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:35 am

A lesson about Marcus Aurelius and the history and meaning of Stoicism by Professor Michael Sugrue'

No audio visual aides. No TelePrompter. No note cards. Just pure old school style lecture.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but a really good lecture that will make you think.

From "The Great Courses" company and it is "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual Tradition 2nd Edition - Ancient Philosophy and Faith: From Athens to Jerusalem - Lecture Eleven: Marcus Aurelius' Meditations: The Stoic Ideal (Michael Sugrue, Ph.D. Princeton University)" circa 1995

phpBB [media]