Mental Breakdowns

Messages of those who have been turned in.
demo
Real Full Name: Brian Demeary
Rank and Rate/Category: POMTP3
Enlistment Date: 18 Nov 1962
Date of Discharge: 07 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane, 1MCE, Penguin

Mental Breakdowns

Post by demo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:32 pm

Just wondering if any ony here has ever experienced a Mental or Nervous Breakdown and what happened. How lond did it take to recover from it.

windy1
Real Full Name: Stephen Hills
Rank and Rate/Category: LSMTP2
Enlistment Date: 26 Oct 1971
Date of Discharge: 26 Oct 1980
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus - Yarra - Sydney - Perth - Watson - Brisbane - Penguin

Re: Mental Breakdowns

Post by windy1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:58 am

Too complex an issue to be taken lightly mate, looking for similarities may be like looking at Dr Google. My view is that mental health is as individual as the individual.
At least these days a lot of the stigma has been removed and there’s options for diagnosis and treatment other than being classed by society in general as gone troppo.
I’m always about for a chat, PM me if you want.

SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

Mental Breakdowns

Post by SLSU1966 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:27 pm

Hang in Brian, on the hop, so will return later. In the interim, try this prescription from Dr Foretop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaflX0MWRo

Odd as I could not open the link, but Reach Out (I'll be there) by the Four Tops is on you tube with many versions. One for the IT skilled to post 4 U?

demo
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Windy,
Thanks mate, I can't even think straight enough to send that message. How do i do it?

Yossarian
Real Full Name: Clive Dunn
Rank and Rate/Category: LSRP
Enlistment Date: 09 Jul 1966
Date of Discharge: 08 Jul 1986
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin, Melbourne, Watson, Nirimba, Queenbrough, Perth, Hobart and Sydney.

Post by Yossarian » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:07 pm

demo wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:32 pm
Just wondering if any ony here has ever experienced a Mental or Nervous Breakdown and what happened. How lond did it take to recover from it.
Many years ago I crashed and burned. I'm sure there will be many well meaning people that will give you advice and I will be one of them. My advice to seek professional help. See your GP for a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist. There is no shame in seeking help.

How long will it last. For me it is always there, with help I learned the signs of a reoccurance and the steps to take to manage it.

demo

Post by demo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:13 pm

Yossarian,

Where I live at the moment in the Philippines the nearest psychiatrist in over two hours away. I used to see one in Australia for PTSD, he didn't do much at all really.

This is the first time I have gone this far but as you say, the signs are there so I will be always looking for them in the future

Thanks for the help

windy1
Real Full Name: Stephen Hills
Rank and Rate/Category: LSMTP2
Enlistment Date: 26 Oct 1971
Date of Discharge: 26 Oct 1980
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus - Yarra - Sydney - Perth - Watson - Brisbane - Penguin

Post by windy1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Demo, Top right hand side of this screen - select Private Messages - select New PM - type windy1 in New Recipient - Type message - hit submit

SLSU1966
Real Full Name: Michael Fogarty
Rank and Rate/Category: LEUT
Enlistment Date: 28 Feb 1966
Date of Discharge: 12 May 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Duchess, Melbourne, Kuttabul, FHQ, Harman

Mental Breakdowns

Post by SLSU1966 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:03 pm

Not sure if this is a repeat or Shaft if too late to click. More tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EaflX0MWRo

Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Post by Joe » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:39 pm

Well done you blokes offering assistance. Hang in there Demo. Remember it is your body, your brain, your life. No one can hurt you unless you let them.
Oh and something I have used for a long time ... it will all be the same in a hundred years.
Believe in yourself Demo .. if anyone can Demo can!!!

hmasstuart
Real Full Name: John McPhail
Rank and Rate/Category: LSWM
Enlistment Date: 03 Mar 1970
Date of Discharge: 04 Apr 1976
Ships and Depots Served: Queenborough, Sydney, Stuart, Waterhen (TRV's), Vampire, Torrens.

Post by hmasstuart » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:36 pm

There are lots of mental breakdowns in ex service personnel. I for one have been through a lot over the passed two years. I cannot comment on your situation Demo . As Joe said it is a personal issue. I for one had a couple of tough years and if it helps you mate good. Also gets a lot off my chest. 18 months ago my relationship with the Mrs started to break down. 23 years in this relationship. Helped raise her two children. Flogged myarse off to provide a nice lifestyle. Lynne had a gambling habit . Not known to me. Gambled over 900k which included my inheritance on the stock market. Always told me we were doing well. LOL. Lost a Motza. Found out that she was seeing her ex husband. After an altercation between ourselves she place me on an DVO. Court cases etc.. lasting 12months. Magistrate ruled the house to be sold etc.... Finally after all that I was a mess. My alcohol increase doubled I was a mental mess. Approached DVA and was referred to a Physcologist. Finally I can say Im on the mend.
You need to get professional help mate. Remember we are here for you. Take care Jock