The Black Dog

Messages of those who have been turned in.
demo
Real Full Name: Brian Demeary
Rank and Rate/Category: POMTP3
Enlistment Date: 18 Nov 1962
Date of Discharge: 07 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane x 2, 1MCE, Penguin

Re: The Black Dog

Post by demo » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 am

Princey,
Glad to have you back mate, sorry to hear about your wife, hope she is OK. before my brain operation for a tumour I had three strokes but survived them all. Lucky me.
Graham Thurstons was the officer who came on board the Brisbane to oversee the repair work from the fire. 1974. The stokers and the dockyard workers did all the fucking work and then he gets the fucking medal. I met up with him when I lived at Nambucca Heads NSW and he was the BIG shot for the museum in Bowraville. Knew it all.
As you said, that is all behind me now and I have the future to look forward to with my wife and son. May there be many more Happy days ahead.
Regards,
Brian

paulkaz
Real Full Name: Paul Nicholas
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOMTP3
Enlistment Date: 12 Jan 1962
Date of Discharge: 14 Jan 1982
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus (4) Waterhen, Kuttabul, G.I Dockyard, Cockatoo Is, Nirimba. Diamantina, Sydney, Parramatta, Hobart, Perth.

Post by paulkaz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:29 pm

Brian, I think you have given Graham Thurstans a meteoric rise in rank here. Thurstans was promoted LME in 1969 and did the MTC
with me at Cerberus Oct 69. He was a pain in the arse and Billy Kmon threw him over a cliff on the beach at Hastings when we had
a pissup one night with the Wran truckies. No way he could have been a LCDR by 1974 and I dont think he was even an officer by the
time I paid off in 1981.

demo
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane x 2, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:45 pm

Paul, he was a LTCMDR when I was at Bundaberg Sub Branch. He used to wear the uniform of that rank. He was wearing medals during one of the Anzac Day marches and I asked him what this particular one was and he told he he was awarded it for overseeing the repair work when the fire broke out in 1974 and that then he was a LTCMDR. I am not sure if it was the O.A. or the O.A.M.
He got it for doing fuck all, we stokers did not even get a mention although we were grilled by our Engineering Officer as to what had happed and what we did to stop it. Not a pleasant memory having to go through it again.
He was also the chief in the War Museum ay Bowraville and knew every fuckling thin. Also at the Naval Museum at Spectacle Island.
( I think that is where it is )
A proper know it all

paulkaz
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus (4) Waterhen, Kuttabul, G.I Dockyard, Cockatoo Is, Nirimba. Diamantina, Sydney, Parramatta, Hobart, Perth.

Post by paulkaz » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:41 pm

I saw him at the Bowraville museum on one of my visits to Hughie Aitkens farm at Taylors Arm - he had his navy uniform on display there.
He did also look after the Spectacle Island museum.
I knew him from the early 60s when we were stokers and he was always a pain in the arse but I cant see how he could make LCDR by 1974
from a kellick stoker in 1969

demo

Post by demo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm

That is what he showed himself as to be Paul, or he was showboating and big noting himself. Would not surprise me. He did make Officer though, that I am sure off. What uniform was on display at the museum? I distinctly remember him wearing LCDMR uniform at the Anzac Day March in Nambucca Heads one year. My ex can verify that fact and so can the sub branch of the RSL.
As you said, a pain in the arse and a fucking know it all.
I used to pick up Hughie's milk in a bulk tanker there. He was my Chief Stoker as well.

Lawrie G
Real Full Name: Lawrie Gribben
Rank and Rate/Category: POEWR
Enlistment Date: 10 Mar 1963
Date of Discharge: 09 Mar 1972
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Parramatta (x2), Mull of Kintyre, Melbourne, Waterhen

Post by Lawrie G » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:10 pm

Can one buy LCDR uniforms on eBay? . . .

demo

Post by demo » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:15 pm

Lawrie,
Not interested in being someone I am not. Only fools and dickheads do that. If I never earned the rank I would not even think of going higher to impress someone.
If he wasn't it should be on the ANZMI web site.
I shall have a look and find out if one can.

timvan
Real Full Name: Martinus (Tim) van Wyck
Rank and Rate/Category: CMDR GLSU
Enlistment Date: 23 Sep 1962
Date of Discharge: 30 Jun 1988
Ships and Depots Served: cerberus, albatross(x7), watson, sydney, yarra, vendetta, waterhen, platypus, tarangau, brisbane, hobart, FOCEA, NO, coonawarra, cairns

Post by timvan » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm

If it is of any help, I Iooked up in The Navy List (August 1998 edition) of which I have a copy and listed therein Is GGS Thurstans, OAM, O/n C57205 as a LCDR RL MTP as a then member of the ANR (reserves) on CFTS with a seniority of 01JAN 94 . Assuming that he was promoted from WO to LEUT as a Special Duties officer it is doubtful that he would have been a LCDR in 1974.

demo

Post by demo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:07 pm

I am positive he was an officer in 1974, if I could find the other guys who were involved in the fire onboard Brisbane with me at that time they could verify that it was he who oversaw the repair work and he was a LCDR. also the guys at the Nambucca Heads Sub Branch who could also say he was an officer. That is what he got the O.A.M. for. He did fuck all ,the dockies did all the work and he gets the fucking glory for it.
I think it wold be near impossible to locate the former stokers I had on watch with me. They would either be dead or to old to remember.
Thanks for the info timvan

paulkaz

Post by paulkaz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Brian, I was at Hughie Aitkens farm once when you drove the milk truck in - the wife and I and the kids used to go down to the farm
each year for 2 weeks. I think the uniform Thurstans had on display at the museum was a chiefs uniform. He said it was his.
Im sure I can remember him being the Chief ERA on one of the DDGs in the 70s - it could have been Perth after I left it in 75.
Im sure he was not an officer up to when I left the service in 1982. (excuse the grammar, my keyboard wont do apostrophes).