Glasses

Messages of those who have been turned in.
Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Re: Glasses

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Also have had glasses for 25 years. Originally used a high grade Optician. Have never had a problem with tbe glasses .. be lost without 'em.
Sight has remained very similar for last 6 years ... very lucky.

demo
Real Full Name: Brian Demeary
Rank and Rate/Category: POMTP3
Enlistment Date: 18 Nov 1962
Date of Discharge: 07 Sep 1979
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane x 2, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:07 am

My own personal choice are progressives

stones
Site Admin
Real Full Name: Russ Graystone
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOFC
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1969
Date of Discharge: 07 Jan 1989
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:08 am

The experts say eyesight deterioration usually starts in the early 40s, as it did with me when all of a sudden I found I was unable to read The Age' Green Guide', particularly in low light, and progressed from there. This usually eases up around age 60 which was pretty much classic in my case. Yes, I too would be lost, literally, without them - Which is why wearing over the counter, or street stall 'magnifiers' are so convenient, not to mention cheap. I have multiple pairs stashed away.

And of course in this day and age where all number of things, instructions, terms and conditions, etc., are written in font sizes which would easily fit on the head of a pin I also have magnifying glasses strategically scattered around the house.

demo
Ships and Depots Served: Cerberus, Vendetta, Yarra, Albatross, Melbourne, Creswell, Perth, Brisbane x 2, 1MCE, Penguin

Post by demo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:30 am

The problem with my eyes is that I need glasses to see long and short distances. I also have an over the counter pair of reading glasses but they are no good for seeing anything in the distance, hence the required glasses which are near and far. Still waiting on the second pair from the Hospital.

swampee
Real Full Name: Nigel Marsh
Rank and Rate/Category: LSSIG
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1975
Date of Discharge: 06 Jan 1986
Ships and Depots Served: Leeuwin Cerebus Platypus Vendetta Swan Penguin MSO Harman NO Jervis Bay Swan Stalwart FOCAF Warnambool Stuart

Post by swampee » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:46 pm

I discovered I couldnt read the Trading Post so had to position it under lights, and went down hill from there, first prescription glasses cost around $600 and was shocked, couldnt find them a few times so started to wear them all the time because I didnt want to fork out for another pair, and there I reckon the degredation started but tend to agree, slowed right down at 60. Thinking about laser, but the longer you wait the more practised they get and the technology improves, funny Health funds dont want to chip in for laser but will pay out for glasses every 2 years or so.
BCNU
Cheers
Swamp

demo

Post by demo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:51 pm

Except D.V.A. that is.
OK for the health funds to cover the costs of new glasses every two years in Australia and D.V.A. to pick up the tab. But be careful when you are overseas as they can fucking refuse any thing you want to claim for. The cunts at D.V.A read the rules to suit themselves.If the removal of Cataracts do not mean your eyesight is deteriorating then what the fuck does it mean? I am covered for Cataracts from my service days so why can't I get glasses like In did when I resided in Australia? The cataracts were making it harder and harder for me to focus properly on what was in front of me. My initial claim was for deteriorating eyesight, they were the ones who in their almighty wisdom classified it as ACQUIRED CATARACTS. ? Previously I had been getting new glasses every two years from OPSM in Australia at no cost to me.
Why then, do they now decline my application for the expenses for glasses?
if you want to know what i think of D.V.A. and get the truth do not ask me.
This is not the first time I have had trouble with them, only today i received another email from them asking for the receipt that I paid for my new Glasses. I initially sent that to the stupid pricks in D.V.A. back on the 2nd February this year but somehow they have seemed to have lost it. WooHoo. Needless to say I sent everything I had that I could find regarding my glasses to them. roughly 15 pages of information. this is what they already have on their email system.
I am getting so fucking pissed of with D.V.A that another email to Darren Chester is not far away. Enough is enough, Russ, Now i know why you steer clear of them.

stones
Site Admin
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:12 pm

Because Demo, and let's face it, we are deplorable, dirty , old white men who live in SE Asia. More than likely married to a 20 something 'Dolly' from a Pattaya Go-Go Bar. Like those stupid dumbass bastards the ABC used to love to highilght in their Reality TV Series 'Embassy'. I have been putting up with it for many years. When they talk about stereotyping, it is a subject I know alot about. That's the bottom line, they hate us. But then, I was once a common low sailor, so it is not something I haven't experienced before.

They would prefer that I return to live on the streets, scavenge for a living on welfare , and, eventually top myself.

Talk about Greta having her Childhood Stolen from her, I have had my rightful and paid for inheritance stolen from me. The unfairness was getting to me so bad I had to do something. They are not going to tell me how to live my life. Had enuf of that in Pussers. Better off to remain independant, write them off for the miserable, rotten, corrupt bastards that they are and get on with living life - without them in it. Even though I would love to take them to court and to be heard by a jury of my peers.

Living with anger is not good mate. Better off without the cunts.

(Part of my 'Stoics Course')

demo

Post by demo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:58 pm

I agree with you Russ but as you say enough is enough. i am getting totally fucking pissed off with the so called D.V.A. receptionists that take control of our claims and think that they run the fucking web site. They think that as they can read, so be it, (ha ha) they can make any decision they feel like. It is not their fucking choice to do so. It has to go to higher positions but in all their fucking wisdom after having worked there for a few months think that they know better and send you to the scrap heap. ( And they are mostly foreigners )
I am not going back to Australia to live as the fucking country is going to the shit. exorbitant prices for rent and food. it is so much cheaper over here. If necessary I will keep pestering Darren Chester until I get a reply from him. My God, it can't be that hard to reply to an email, can it?

demo

Post by demo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:37 pm

Just got a reply from DVA saying that they will not cover my expenses for the glasses. Even though they covered Cataract Surgery.

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Maybe you will have to revert to Plan B Demo, unless you return to Aust. I.E. 200 Peso 'Magnifiers'. Go for it. it is when they stop paying you you are in the shit. Which will eventually happen the way things are going.

Gillard started the ball rolling when she went after the professional 'Single Mothers'. It has snowballed from there.

They came for those living overseas on Aus Centrelink Disability Pensions. Winding them back until obliterating it altogether. Not that I had a problem with that though. I knew a few of the bludgers here. Then they put the stoppers on Dole Recipients and then new Laws and restrictions for Aged Pensioners. That's why they hate the likes of me. So far they haven't been able to destroy my life because they haven't found a way to get at my DFRDB. They want to fuck my life and with all the controversy going on at the moment about what drives men over the edge. Well, keep it up you bastards!

They don't like us Demo. They want us to return to Oz so they can control us. Even if they have to cut off their noses to spite their faces by having to give us a lot more should we be forced to return.

Just when I thought it was safe to get on with my totally independent life, untied from the shackles of the bureaucrats, it seems they still can't fucken leave me alone. Got a message the other day that I have new mail in my MyGov inbox. Haven't bothered to log in and read what the cunts have to say.

Leave me the fuck alone!