Medicare/Healthcare Crisis?

Messages of those who have been turned in.
stones
Site Admin
Real Full Name: Russ Graystone
Rank and Rate/Category: CPOFC
Enlistment Date: 08 Jan 1969
Date of Discharge: 07 Jan 1989
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Aged Care In The West Today

Post by stones » Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Every religion has its form of contemplative practice. Though Buddhism has many meditation practices, it is first and foremost an ethical teaching and a way of life. I have heard anecdotally that Thich Nhat Hanh, the Vietnamese Zen teacher, was once asked to summarize all of Buddhist teaching in one word. He said “Ahimsa,” which means “non-harm” or “nonviolence.” This is the first ethical precept of Buddhism. The term is thousands of years old and goes back at least to the Vedic Hinduism of ancient India. Mohandas Gandhi made ahimsa the centerpiece of his doctrine of nonviolence.

When the Dalai Lama says, “My religion is kindness,” he is saying much the same thing. More fundamental even than meditation for Buddhists is the sense that all life is sacred, and all life in one. That is the doctrine that underlies nonviolence. If all life is related, then we avoid harming others as much as we avoid harming ourselves. Thich Naht Hanh calls this connection “interbeing.” Shunryu Suzuki Roshi said, “When you feel the oneness of everything, you naturally don’t want to harm anything.”

This is the Golden Rule spoken as a Buddhist. To practice ahimsa is to follow Buddhist values, whether you call yourself a Buddhist or not. Meditation grows out of the ahimsa spirit and is a central expression of it. The application of Buddhist meditation to aging is another application of the ahimsa spirit. Our increasingly fragile and infirm bodies and minds are sacred, and worthy of the greatest kindness and care. To respect our aging at every stage is the greatest kindness we can offer to ourselves and those we love.

From reports of abuse and neglect to soaring costs, the reputation of aged care homes in the West has taken a battering in recent years.

Now some families are finding alternatives far from home.

With its tropical climate, lower costs and culture of respect for the elderly, Thailand is attracting families dealing with dementia and Alzheimer's from as far away as Europe.

Walter Gloor brought his wife Maya to a care home in the northern Thai city of Chiang Mai two years ago, from their home in Switzerland. She had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's when she was 50, and it had become clear that she needed round-the-clock care.

"The main reason was, where is the best place for Maya? ... We couldn't find anything better. So I think she deserves to be in the best place in the world," he says.

Martin Woodtli runs an aged care facility in Chiang Mai, where 14 patients live in villas and have round-the-clock personal carers. He set up the centre in 2003, after struggling to find care for his mother in their native Switzerland.

"Maybe we have to find new models of care because the care system for elderly people in Europe is not working any more and it's going to be a big, big problem," he says.

Shown today on Al Jazeera ...

phpBB [media]

Joe
Real Full Name: Joseph White
Rank and Rate/Category: APOWTR
Enlistment Date: 03 Apr 1963
Date of Discharge: 07 Jul 1969
Ships and Depots Served: Sydney Melbourne Cerberus Lonsdale Kuttabul Penguin

Re: Medicare/Healthcare Crisis?

Post by Joe » Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 pm

Certainly a better bet than our Old Folks Homes. Reckon if thats my only option I'll go for a long stroll down a very short jetty.
Religion is a very complex thing. I was luck enough to be in Catholic Boarding Schools from age 5 to 17 in 3 different States. Well .. that certainly put me off Christianity! At that time I founded my own religion called The Gospel According To Joe. Have faithfully practised it since. I am the only member and am not looking for any other converts.
One of the most important things in life is to know that no one can hurt you unless you let them. Believe it, live it and you will have had a happy life - just like lucky me 💙

stones
Site Admin
Ships and Depots Served: JRTE 26th Intake. Derwent x2, Stuart, Vampire, Attack, Brisbane. Navy Internet Manager NHQ 1999-2003

Post by stones » Fri May 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Wow! I was overwhelmed today. Very emotional. My first Bowel Screening Test arrived in the mail!!! Whilst my mate has received 3 so far this year alone. My Medicare Card was confiscated a few years ago and I was wiped from the System (Medicare/Centrelink). But today, a glimmer of hope, a letter from the Dept of Health telling me that according to their 'records', even though I had effectively been 'cancelled', I am, all of a sudden, out of the blue, entitled to a box so they can take more shit off me.

Attention on the Upper Deck! Face Aft and Salute!

phpBB [media]

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 pm

Might be a great time to use it and make sure you send it back to Centrelink/Medicare. Just to let them know that someone gives a shit!

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Sat May 30, 2020 1:59 pm

Bugger that! It would me my luck for it to come back positive. What do I do then? A plate of sangas, a 9mm & double away smartly?

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 pm

Just thought that they would be the ones with shit on their fingers ... still I guess they have cupboards full of crap.

stones
Site Admin

Post by stones » Sun May 31, 2020 3:18 am

Joe wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 pm
Just thought that they would be the ones with shit on their fingers ... still I guess they have cupboards full of crap.
That's only because their heads are full already.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun May 31, 2020 11:16 pm

Ah ha .. that's what happens when you put your head up your arse.